Thursday, August 20, 2009

Thursday, August 20, 2009...let the cooking begin!

Another night of the same old, boring chicken… Same marinade, same green salad, and the inevitable same reaction from my fiancé.


I’m so sick of cooking the same 10 predictable meals in my recipe repertoire. I have to do something to make dinner more exciting! I only see Prav, my fabulous fiancé, for the 30 minutes or so that we sit down to eat dinner at night. He is working his butt off and he deserves to come home to delicious meals that we both can look forward to. I'm a nurse...correction, I am a brand new nurse and I'm getting married in December. I work at Duke University Hospital. As a nurse, I only work 3 days a week...3 VERY long days a week, but still only 3 twelve hour shifts a week (which usually means waking up at 4:45am and working until 8pm). I have 4 days off during the week now. I am stuck working with a preceptor for the next 2 months during my orientation and, with that, I must work my preceptor's schedule. Claire, my preceptor is wonderful, but her schedule is NOT conducive to my life. She works every weekend...Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. This means Prav and I work opposite schedules.


I have to work this weekend, which means it will be another weekend of greasy Chinese take out, pizza delivery, and maybe the occasional Indian food to go. Ugh…this is not helping my needing to fit into my beautiful wedding dress in 120 days. I, reluctantly, ordered my wedding dress in a size 14, which does fit, but there is no room for Indian take out, pizza delivery, or sodium-rich Chinese food…trust me! So, I am on a mission to find recipes that are yummy, easy to follow, and figure-friendly! Admittedly, I am not a great cook. Let’s be honest here, I’m less than an amateur…I’m what the amateurs were before they became amateurs. I’m just a kitchen idiot! I have a drawer full of kitchen tools, passed down from my mother and mother-in-law and I have no clue what they are used for or how to even begin to use them! Last year, I returned a perfectly good crock pot that my sister-in-law gave me as an engagement present simply because I have no clue what a crock pot is, how it’s used, or what in the world I would use it for. What’s worse, the box even said “the easiest to use crock pot you’ll ever own.” Pathetic, I know! I’ve registered for all these great kitchen gadgets and cookware for our wedding, but I have no clue what I’d do if I actually received them! I need to get some courage in the kitchen. I need to emulate a chef who has spirit, know-how, and who makes cooking fun. I need to learn to cook from someone I can relate to…someone young and energetic who isn’t afraid to laugh at themselves (since I can guarantee I will be laughing at myself a lot in the kitchen). I am not up for the challenge of “Top Chef” and I am no Julia Child protégé. I’m thinking I can relate much more to Rachel Ray. I’m going to check out her TV show and see what she’s cooking today.


No comments:

Post a Comment