Monday, August 24, 2009

8/24/09...Orange Cashew Stir Fry Chicken

What's for dinner tonight? Orange Cashew Stir Fry Chicken

So, tonight I made Rachael Ray's Orange Cashew Stir Fry Chicken. The recipe originally aired on March 8, 2007. I figured this recipe looked easy enough for a beginner to cook and was something Prav wouldn't be afraid to eat. Prav is a pickier eater than I am. He hates carrots unless they are cooked into mush (aka very soft). He doesn't like sweet potato, orange juice (he will eat things that have a hint of orange flavor), radishes, fish (except sushi or tilapia), etc.

I didn't have any trouble making this meal. In fact, it was relatively easy to do! It tasted great too! I did have to hunt a bit to find Hoisin sauce at my local grocery store. Also, I substituted jasmine rice for boil-in-the bag white rice. I know I have a rice cooker somewhere in my pantry, but I've never used it before and didn't want to mess this up. It still takes me forever to chop vegetables and meat and herbs. I really wish I knew the technique for properly chopping, dicing, cutting, etc. Also, I am scared to use my big knives, which are probably better than using my steak knife, which is what I almost always use to do everything in the kitchen. These 30 minute meals are not taking me 30 minutes yet...more like 75 minutes. I hope I can get better at this! Also, I am making a bigger mess than I think I should be, lol. Prav has been reluctantly helping me with the dishes, but I know he hates it. Ok, so I have lots more to improve on, but the meal was yummy and it tasted just like take-out! Rach calls it "make your own take out." So, I call it "make out"...haha. It was so awesome to sit around the dinner table with Prav. I've decided not to tell him what's for dinner until I put his plate in front of him or until he comes home at night and asks, "what's for dinner tonight?" We loved the meal and I'm looking forward to tomorrow night's challenge!

PS- When I started cleaning up after dinner, I noticed that I completely forgot to put in the water chestnuts I had bought! Doh! Ugh...

No comments:

Post a Comment