Friday, September 4, 2009

9/4/09 Sneaking in the veggies anyway I can!

What's for dinner tonight? Zucchini Fettuccine with Grilled Lemon Basil Chciken

Veggies...grrrr, Prav is so bad about eating his vegetables! He has a whole list of veggies that he won't touch. Peas, carrots, sweet potato, radishes, butternut squash, etc. Sometimes a girl has to take matters into her own hands...and hide the veggies! So, tonight I made zucchini fettuccine. Looks like a pasta, but packs a ton of yummy green zucchini inside! And, guess who's getting creative? This girl, that's who! Yup, I even added the grilled chicken with lemon and basil all by myself! Rachael just makes the pasta. I knew if I wanted Prav and his cousin, Bintal (who's visiting us from California)to eat the pasta, I would need to jazz it up with some meat. It worked!

I only had 1 mishap tonight. I don't have a food processor to properly shred the zucchini the way Rachael does it. So, I had to hand grate it on the larger grate setting on my grater. However, I accidentally grated my knuckle! So, now I have a bandaid on 2 of my knuckles. Ugh...I wish I knew how to chop, shred, grate, etc! There has to be a better way than what I am doing! My hands look terrible...like I've been boxing or something. On top of it all, I had to squeeze lemon juice into the pasta, which got on my knuckles and stung my fresh wounds! I am committed to getting better cooking technique! My knuckles can't take much more of the current system, lol.

I did, however, learn a new trick! When squeezing lemons to get the juice, roll them on the counter first to release the juice then cut them open. Also, if you squeeze them with the center of the lemon pointing upward, the seeds won't fall out and get into your food! Lastly, when cooking with fresh fruit, whenever possible, use a zester to get all the great flavors out of the zest first and add it to whatever you're cooking. Thank you, Rachael. Great tips!

No comments:

Post a Comment